Somewhere over the course of last year, I lost the plot with regard to monthly recaps of what I’d be reading and watching, and that’s too bad. I actually really like these posts to help me reflect on the past month, in terms of what kinds of media I’d been consuming. So, with the start of a new year and a fresh resolve to track more thoroughly what I’m reading and watching, here’s my attempt at starting up these monthly recaps again.
Best Book of the Month: Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
Books Read: 25
Graphic Novel: 1
# of Pages Read: 5554
Thoughts on February’s Reading:
- As far as non-fiction goals go, I read two memoirs (I Don’t Know Where You Know Me From and Never Have I Ever) and one biography (Pain, Parties, Work: Sylvia Plath in New York, Summer, 1962). I loved the Plath and was lukewarm on the other two. I didn’t read anything I would qualify as “hard” non-fiction this month.
- A lot of the YA I read this month was really, really disappointing: I kind of hated Asylum, thought Royally Lost was painfully silly, and didn’t connect with The Museum of Intangible Things the way I wanted to. Even so, Cammie McGovern’s Say What You Will was my favorite read of the month, hands down.
- My numbers are insanely high because I read so many Sweet Valley High novels this week for my other blog. These books are a breeze to get through (I can knock them out in about 30 minutes if I’m not distracted by other things), so they count–but just barely. I’m on a roll with them right now, so who knows how long that will last.
Much as I’d like to, I’m not obsessively tracking what TV show episodes I watch and when. So this will be mostly bullet points.
- I’ve completely slowed down on Breaking Bad. I think we’re still slogging through the third season. I will finish it. It’s just not something I ever look forward to sitting down to.
- Instead, I hate-watched my way through four seasons of Glee, which I’m not proud of, but there it is. I don’t know why I can’t look away from this show–it is literally the worst and represents everything I hate, but damn if I can’t stop binge-watching.
- I also still watch New Girl and Switched at Birth. Everything else seems to be on hiatus right now.
- J. and I have started watching The X-Files as something to have on in the background sometimes. It’s enjoyable but I don’t see us finishing it (as well we shouldn’t because it’s one of those shows that refused to die).
Movies Watched: 8
Theater Trips: 0
Thoughts on Movies Watched in February:
- Not a stellar month for movies, despite my best intentions to get ready for the Oscars.
- Despite not liking animated movies, I watched Disney’s Frozen and found it adorable. I mean, largely forgettable, but something I probably would have loved as a kid. I also watched The Croods and didn’t hate it, so that’s something, I guess?
Goals for March:
- Continue reading and watching diverse things. Keep up with keeping track.
Happy reading and watching, readers!